Friday, February 24, 2012

Melanie's Purple Travel Room Theme...Yes, Really.

Without much fanfare, my youngest daughter (soon-to-be 14) and I took some much-needed mother/daughter time to give her room a little style makeover when they had a few days off from school before Valentine's day.

Much to hubby's chagrin, she wanted lavender, silver and black.  When choosing the design for my girls rooms, I encourage them to choose two colors...main and complimenting and a metallic color (silver, gold, bronze, copper, etc) but everything must compliment their current furniture.  Additionally, we pick a theme.

Though I've been painting murals for about eighteen years now, teenagers are still a little unchartered territory for me because it's an extremely rare occurrence to be contracted for a mural for a kiddo over the age of ten.  My kids are happy to be the experimental volunteers and I just love giving them cool rooms.  I suppose I can say it best when I say it's part communication, part giving up control.  The control part is a real stickler for me (my kids have some pretty elaborate ideas), but I think we did okay while still accomplishing her goal of a "travel" theme.  Melanie did the research on fonts while thinking of a font best-suited for the personalities of the appropriate cities (notice Austin's).

Ironically after having completed her room, my husband I had to locate a new hairdresser this week.  Low and behold, what could have been considered Melanie's inspiration (though we found it after the fact) was found at our new hair salon..."Hue".  My husband just shook his head...lol.  Does this mean Melanie's taste was justified?  I think so.

Melanie's results appear to be a modern, more-chic-than-shabby with glossy black accents and a silver chandelier with purple prisms (coming soon!).  I haven't yet painted the ceiling white and am not sure I will...time will tell.  However the research and layout with Melanie was fun and it makes me smile knowing this little project provided some quality time and memories for us.



 

What's a travel theme without the Eiffel?



Snazzy Silver Chandelier with Purple Crystal Prisms Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment